James Garner is a real icon among men and women around the world and is famous for his dry sense of humor and quick wit. While Garner is famous for appearing in Westerns, he has also played a wide range of different roles during his career. Here are some fun facts about James Garner that fans will love:
- James Garner appeared on Broadway near the start of his career as one of the judges in The Caine Mutiny Court Martial.
- However, it took a few years before Garner’s bright light was widely recognized and he took on a number of other jobs while he was struggling to hit the big time including modeling men’s clothing and pumping gas.
- James Garner launched the production company Cherokee Productions in honor of his Cherokee heritage and the reigns were later taken up by his daughter Gigi Garner.
- Garner met his wife Lois Clarke during a political rally in 1965 and the pair got married two weeks later at the Beverly Hills Court House.
- Garner has a passion for humanitarian causes and he used to volunteer at Save the Children.
- The popular television series The Rockford Files that aired in the 1970s was cancelled after the sixth season due to the fact that James Garner was in hospital with a bleeding ulcer.
- James Garner co-starred with Julie Andrews in a total of three movies; The Americanization of Emily in 1964, Victor Victoria in 1982 and the romantic comedy One Special Night in 1999.
- James Garner famously starred as the lead in the television series Maverick and decades later when it was made into a movie he played the father of the lead character Maverick that was played by Mel Gibson.
- Garner starred with Bruce Lee in the movie Marlowe in 1969 and later became a student of Jeet Kune Do martial arts that was established by Bruce Lee.